Social

Monday 5 November 2018

GDANSK | TRAVEL GUIDE

On a mission to begin posting again and more specifically, actually write all the travel post ideas I've thought of over the last couple of years, I decided to kick things off with this superb, little, European city.
Anyone who knows me, will know that I prefer receiving and giving experiences rather than items as presents and last September, for my 23rd birthday, I was generously treated to a long weekend in Gdansk.

Prior to this trip I had wanted to visit Krakow but I had no plans (or even knowledge) of any other places in Poland. However, just 48 hours spent in this Polish old town and I had come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be unknown for much longer. It's certainly going to keep gaining popularity and I imagine will start competing for the number of tourists that the likes of Amsterdam, Prague and Budapest attract.

TRAVEL
If you ever search for budget flights from the UK, you'll know Poland crops up time and time again. For some, I think this country still holds connotations of bitterly cold weather and grey landscapes. And I can confirm that the latter is just simply is not accurate (the weather, however, was freezing!)
In less than four hours and for well under £50 return, you can travel from ten different airports across the UK to Gdansk. Followed by a 30 minute taxi (which will set you back a mere £7!) from the airport and you have arrived in the Old Town. 
A big proportion of this trip was spent walking around and exploring the old town, followed by escaping the snow at a bar for a drink and then heading out into the cold again until we needed to warm up at the next stop. The most memorable bar we visited was Mała Sztuka where we had an unforgettable egg white (sounds weird, tastes amazing) and dark chocolate cocktail.

ACCOMMODATION
One of the main things that attracts us Brits to Poland/Eastern Europe is the affordability. I've covered flights and taxis, but accommodation follows suit. 
We stayed in a lovely, modern, ground-floor Airbnb apartment, just a two minute walk from the centre of the Old Town. With an average price of £50 per night for an entire place and 300+ homes to choose from, it really is the ideal location for a cheap getaway. 

FOOD & DRINK
Now, to be honest, this is where Poland let itself down slightly for me. As the least fussiest person around, I will give just about anything a try. But unfortunately Polish food just did not grab us. 
I was intrigued to taste a few pierogis (Polish filled dumplings) however after our first meal in Gdansk, of which was pierogis, I was without a doubt put off. The texture was just not for me. I did give them a second try at a pretty cool place, Pierogarnia Mandu Centrum, which was definitely more successful so I would recommend stopping by but I just don't think I'm a fan of pierogis.
If the thought of food in Poland does concern you, there's really no need. There are loads of different cuisines available including Italian and Asian if they're more your bag. 
A couple more recommendations for you; if you're after somewhere a bit more upmarket or have a special occasion, Correze, is worth booking. Also, if you're a burger fan like me then Original Burger was pretty darn good (the records and film posters covering the interiors are rather cool too!)

THINGS TO DO
To sum this section up...there's tons to do in Gdansk. 
If you're a culture vulture then this place is honestly perfect, there are museums galore. But if you're just after a chilled time walking, exploring and taking photos then it'll not disappoint either. I'm a solid believer in anywhere with an Old Town provides the opportunity for endless hours of exploring. I absolutely love just wandering around a new place with nowhere in particular to get to and delving into all the side streets of an Old Town. 

That aside, the following five points I believe are well worth adding to your to-do list when visiting Gdansk:

ONE: Dluga Street/Neptune’s Fountain
TWO: Motlawa River Embankment/The Crane/GDANSK sign
THREE: Oliwa Park
FOUR: Sopot (a day trip to the beach!)
FIVE: Amber Sky ferris wheel
FINAL TIP
Although it's bloody freezing, if you don't mind wrapping up warm I would definitely suggest checking out Gdansk in the winter. It might snow, it might rain but the price of flights and the Christmassy atmosphere (November/December time) is really lovely. 

Have you ever been to Gdansk? What other places are worth checking out in Poland? Let me know in the comments.


Thanks for stopping by!


Emily x

No comments:

Post a Comment